No creature would be able to thrive if it doesn’t feel safe and secure. Fortunately, there are a few simple things that you can do to boost your kitty’s confidence.
To make your cat feel safe make sure that the little guy has its own quiet place. Provide a lot of physical and mental stimuli, never shout at the furry ball, and establish a routine, so that the kitty knows what to expect.
How to Make Your Cat Feel Safe?
- Make sure that the kitty has its own quiet place – nowadays, there are plenty of pretty furniture pieces available on the market that can become the perfect hiding places for your precious pet. If there is a small room in the house that rarely gets used, then you can turn it into a private area for your kitty.
- Establish a routine – cats like to know what’s coming next, so try to feed them and even play with them at roughly the same time every single day.
- Enrich the kitty’s environment – if your cat has a lot of things that provide mental and physical stimulation (interactive toys, puzzle feeders, etc.), then it won’t be as focused on the stress factors.
- Give calming pheromones a try – such pheromones are available in sprays, diffusers, and even wipes; use them whenever the kitty has to deal with a stressful situation.
- Make sure that new things are introduced slowly
- Always remain calm – your cat certainly won’t be able to feel safe, if you tend to shout at it.
How to Make a Cat Feel Safe in a New Home?
Ideally, you would want to prepare a separate ‘sanctuary’ room for the kitty. Your cat is going to spend a few days there right after arrival.
Fill the room with familiar scents and items, provide a hiding place, and make sure that there are no potential hazards in the space.
Read: How Long Do Cats Tails Grow?
How to Make a Stray Cat Feel Safe?
Give the kitty as much time as it needs to calm down. Always pay attention to the cat’s body language, and don’t approach it, if the kitty doesn’t want to be touched.
You should also slowly introduce the scents of other family members and pets (if you have any). To do this, you can leave blankets or items of clothing in the kitty’s safe room.
How to Make a Cat Feel Safe in a Car?
- It would be safer if you place the cat in a carrier while it’s in the car
- You can allow the kitty to explore the vehicle before it gets in the carrier
- Place the cat’s blanket or bed on the back seat – in such a way, its scent will already be in the car
- While the kitty is in the vehicle, you can give it a treat, so it has a chance to learn that car rides mean treat time
Read: Does Cat Need Bath After Swimming?
How Do You Make a Scared Cat Feel Safe?
The main thing that you should do is eliminate the thing that is scaring the poor thing. If there is something loud happening outside (like fireworks or thunder, for example), you can try closing the curtains and turning the TV on.
What Item Makes a Cat Feel Safe?
If you want your kitty to feel safe, then you would have to provide it with one or even a few hiding places. Those can be cardboard boxes, the box spring of a bed, or a special cat house (those would be great for the kitties that are ‘bush-dwellers’).
Other feline friends prefer to stay above the ground, so you might want to invest in a cat tree. Ideally, you would want to have both – elevated items to allow the kitty to survey the area and tucked-away spaces where the little guy can hide.
Soft bedding and blankets are also the items that will help your cat feel a bit more secure.
What Calms a Cat Down?
Calming diffusers will get the job done. Pheromone diffusers mimic the natural feline reassuring messages to make the cat feel more comfortable and relaxed.
Read: Why Does My Cat Want So Much Attention in the Morning?
What Do Cats Do When They Feel Safe?
If your kitty is showing you its belly, it means that the fluffy ball is feeling safe and is comfortable being vulnerable around you.
How Do You Relax a Stressed Cat?
Ideally, you would want to avoid the things that make your kitty nervous or stressed. For example, if you know that you have people coming over and your cat hates other humans, then you can keep the kitty in a ‘safe’ room while the guests are at your place.
As soon as you have taken care of the stress factor, provide your feline friend with a distraction. Vertical spaces, scratching posts, and various toys can help your cat forget about the thing that made it uncomfortable.
How Can I Calm My Anxious Cat Naturally?
There are a few natural solutions that will help your kitty calm down:
- Calming cat treats
- Pheromone diffusers and sprays
- TLC – sometimes, all your cat really needs is a bit of love; pet the little guy, play with it, and simply be with it
How Do You Know If Your Cat Is Traumatized?
The main symptoms of emotional trauma in cats include:
- Loss of appetite
- Mood swings
- Destructive behavior
- Increased hiding
- Excessive vocalizations
- Sleep disturbances
- Failure to use the litter box
How to Make Your Cat Feel Comfortable with You?
- Always let the kitty make the first move
- Bend down and show the cat your finger – it’s a great way to greet the little guy
- Pet the fluffy ball on the forehead and the cheeks
- Learn to read the cat’s body language
- Play with your kitty every day for around 20 minutes
Read: Why Cat Not Gaining Weight but Eating Well?
How to Play with a Cat?
One of the best ways to play with your feline friend is to stimulate its natural instincts. Experiment with toys that mimic prey and make sure to dangle or toss them (toys that are simply left to sit on the floor might not excite the cat).
How Do You Rebuild a Cat’s Trust?
Don’t try to make the cat interact with you. Give it some time and offer, but don’t insist, on playing.
Become the person who feeds the kitty and cleans the litter box. Another thing that you can do is call the kitty’s name and if it comes up to you – give it a treat.
Does a Cat Trust You If It Sleeps Next to You?
If a cat likes to sleep next to you (or on you), it means that the kitty trusts you completely.
Will My Cat Forgive Me?
Kitties do not hold grudges, and they will quickly forget a one-off incident. Cats do remember long-term abuse though.
How Do Cats Pick Their Favorite Person?
A cat’s favorite person is usually the human who put the most effort into taking care of the kitty. So, if you play with the little guy, feed it and groom it, then the chances are high that you’re the cat’s favorite.
Read: Why Cat Won’t Calm Down After Spay?
Are Cats Protective of Their Owners?
Some cats will actually guard you and there are kitties that might even get into a fight if they see someone attack you.