Photo of @johnny_thebengal on Instagram
We Bengal cats are not only known for our unique, exotic-looking markings, but also for our super smooth and silky coat that sheds a lot less than other domestic cats. This is because instead of the usual cat fur, we have what’s called a pelt, similar to a rabbit’s.
Our pelt-like coat that sheds minimal hair is the main reason why we’re one of the most low-maintenance cat breeds when it comes to grooming—some would even go as far as to say we’re hypoallergenic because our pelt has less dander, which is what most people are allergic too. On top of that, we have very meticulous grooming habits.
Despite our minimal shedding and ability to self-groom, though, there are many reasons as to why it’s important for our humans to give us a helping hand with our grooming routine. One good reason is that brushing actually helps keep our skin healthy and moisturized by spreading the natural oils our skin produces all over our body and it lessens the likelihood of an unwanted hairball. It’s a great way to bond, too, and honestly, we cats absolutely love getting brushed!
Now, there are plenty of cat brushes being sold on the market, but not all work well for cats with short hair, like Bengals. Buying the wrong brush can even hurt your Bengal cat and cause them to see grooming time with you in a bad light, so it’s very important to know which brush to buy.
To help you narrow down your search, here are 5 of the best cat brushes that are all Bengal cat friendly and of course, Bengal cat approved:
Table of Contents
Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush is the purrrfect brush to use on cats with short coats like us Bengals. It’s specially designed with fine bent wires made to gently penetrate deep into the coat without hurting the skin for pain-free and scratch-free grooming sessions.
- Easy to clean
- Retracts with a click of a button to remove fur
- Designed with a comfort-grip and anti-slip handle
The Furminator Deshedding Tool is a brush that’s specifically intended for shorthaired cats. It’s made to gently and easily remove loose hair from cats without damaging their coat or cutting their skin.
- Bristles made from stainless steel
- Designed with a FURejector button that releases fur with ease
- Made with an ergonomic handle for a more comfortable grip
- Reduces shedding up to 90%
The Pet Neat Grooming Brush is made to remove about 95% of dead hair and tangles from cats. It’s a durable de-shedding tool that makes grooming faster, easier and more comfortable with its covered, 100mm stainless steel blade and easy-grip handle.
- Premium 4-inch de-shedding comb
- Made with a sturdy, easy-grip, non-slip handle
- Has a detachable head design for easy cleaning
- Designed with a quick release button to make removing the blade easier
If you’re tired of using brushes to groom your cat, why not use your hands? The Pat Your Pet Grooming Gloves only needs to be worn and strapped then you’re ready to groom! It allows you to remove loose hair and tangles easily, even in hard-to-reach areas.
- Enhanced five finger design
- Rubber tips made for gentle massages and grooming
- Include two gloves so you can use both hands
- You can use them wet or dry
- You can simply peel off the loose fur from the gloves after grooming
The Glendan Slicker Pet Grooming Brush is a rotatable slicker brush that effectively removes mats, dander, loose hair and dirt from your cat’s coat and skin surface. It’s made with a comfort-grip, anti-slip handle to make grooming your pet less straining.
- Easy to clean
- Rotates 360 degrees
- Made with a comfort-grip, anti-slip handle
- Covered bristles prevents you from scratching your cat’s skin
Since Bengal cats have short coats and generally don’t shed much, it’s best to keep grooming at a minimum—once a week is more than enough. Too much brushing can cause your cat more harm than good and may even result to bald spots or skin problems. Always keep everything in moderation and your Bengal cat will live a long and happy life!