3Photo of @bengalsiamduo on Instagram
Proper feeding is an important factor in keeping kittens healthy. Their nutritional needs and overall care differ from adult cats and if you find yourself raising a kitten, it’s best that you know the basics of kitten care and feeding.
Once your Bengal kitten is weaned from their mom, it’s your job as their new cat pawrent to make sure they get all the vitamins and nutrients that they need to grow into happy and healthy adult Bengal cats. To do exactly that, here’s what you need to know.
Table of Contents
Feed Them The Right Kitten Food
As tiny as your kittens may look now, you’ll be surprised how quickly they’ll grow. Kittens can double—even triple—in size in just a few weeks. Within six months, they’ll have reached 75% of their adult body mass, which is why feeding them nutritionally-rich kitten food is very important.
Compared to adult cats, kittens require more protein, amino acids and minerals to support their rapid growth and high activity levels. Nutritionally balanced, high-quality kitten food that’s specially formulated for kittens is the most ideal option. Keep in mind, though, that if it is labelled “Complete and balanced nutrition”, it means your kitten will no longer need any kind of vitamin and mineral supplementation. It’s best to only use supplements if recommended by your veterinarian.
To find out if a certain brand of kitten food is of high-quality, you can check the label for the following:
- “Meets the nutritional requirements of kittens established by the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).”
- “Complete and balanced nutrition for kittens based on AAFCO feeding trials.”
AAFCO is a group of local, state and federal agencies that regulate pet food and medications.
Here are some of the most loved, veterinarian recommended, nutritionally balanced kitten food:
Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Dry Kitten Food
- Made with real chicken
- Veterinarian recommended
- 0% fillers, 100% nutrition
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains DHA for brain and vision development
- Made in Purina ONE owned facilities in the USA
Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Made with quality proteins including chicken
- Contains taurine for healthy eye and heart development
- All natural ingredients
- No wheat, corn, soy or meat by-products
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Made in the USA
Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Thin Slices
- Specifically formulated to provide all essential nutrients for kittens up to 12 months
- Made with the optimal ratio of fats, proteins and carbohydrates for a maturing kitten’s playful energy
- Contains a precise blend of antioxidants to support a kitten’s developing immune system
- Contains digestible proteins, fiber and probiotics to promote healthy growth and digestion
- Easy for kittens to eat as they transition to solid foods; perfect complement for kibble
Feed Them Frequently
Unlike adult cats, kittens shouldn’t be subjected to strict feeding schedules. In fact, free-feeding is perfectly allowable for younger kittens, while those over the age of four to six months can be transitioned to meal eating and should be fed around 3-4 meals a day.
Avoid feeding more than 4 meals a day to prevent your kitten from becoming overweight or obese, which can cause many problems. Also, if you’re giving them treats on top of their meals, make sure to follow the 10% calorie rule. This means that treats should take up no more than 10% of their daily calorie intake.
Provide Fresh Water Daily
One of the most important factors in keeping kittens—as well as adult cats—healthy is proper hydration. Make sure your kitten has a shallow dish filled with fresh water at all times. Feeding them wet kitten food can also help them stay hydrated since cats in general get almost 80% of their body water in their food. You can also entice your kitten to drink more water by introducing something more fun like water fountains.
Here are a few water fountains you might want to check out:
Veken Pet Fountain
- Ultra quiet and low consumption pump
- 2.5 L water capacity
- Made with BPA-free, non-toxic materials
- Comes with one silicone mat to catch splashing water
- Has 3 different water flow options
- Designed with a triple filtration system
Catit Flower Cat Water Fountain
- Has 3 different water flow options
- 3 L circulating water
- Takes up little floor space (perfect for smaller homes/apartments)
- Includes dual-action water softening filter and energy-efficient pump
- Made of BPA-free materials